Sunday, February 5, 2012

L. O. L.


People everywhere are L.‘ing O. L.

This week I was reminded of someone who didn’t exactly L.O.L., but she most certainly L.‘ed O.L. The great patriarchal wife Sarah was caught (by God) expressing herself in a seemingly innocent giggle (Genesis 18:13). This significant moment in her life captured my attention as it has captured the attention of many theologians. Surprising, eh? It was to me, and it rebuked and encouraged me in a timely manner (referring to my former blog).

Come on - a laugh - really? Interesting to me God would note this emotional “outburst” as small as it was. What a reminder that feelings and emotions cannot be trusted. They are indicators, thermometers, if you will, of what is abundant in the heart. How thankful I am that God lovingly rebukes and brings repentance when there is need.

Sarah was in her place doing what she knew to do. Busy about her daily life, not necessarily meddling in Abraham’s affairs--for once. How often we, as wives, feel the need to dabble, here a little, there a little, to help along our husbands, to spur on the end result we wish to see.

This impatient heart (she waited a long time to have a child), I personally believe, is what stirred up her heart toward this disbelieving laugh. How challenging it can be to wait, to watch, to not be part of the solution. Although, she was very much a part of the solution, it was unknown to her or her timetable. How well do I deal with unknowns?

I read once about a Christian pastor imprisoned in China for preaching the Gospel. He wrote home a letter to his wife asking her to ask others to stop praying for his release. Apparently, his church (underground and in prison) had grown into the thousands. He was concerned that if he was released, the church would be hinder precluded. Can you imagine?

I was wowed at his confident prayer of faith, his patience and sacrifice for this single cause. How often I’ve asked for relief from current circumstances, believing I knew what was better for us. And I’ve even heard of others praying for a change in our personal circumstances. Would it be right to ask ones to not worry, and pray, but instead ask God to do His work in our personal lives instead?

A doubting and disbelieving heart comes from a calloused heart. Truly, “Hope deferred maketh the heart sick” Proverbs 13:12. It seemed Sarah’s hope was deferred time and time again. How I need to seek the truth of my best friend, God’s word, to scrape the hardness away and show me that my heart can so easily become calloused and hardened to His promises.

The outcomes of my children (home school), the future path of my husband (new job), my own personal dreams and desires, and more--these all necessitate a belief that He can and will do the impossible. This is what He delights in and desires us to delight in as well. Exciting part: He will use me in that process, but I may not know the timetable, may have to wait, and must keep my focus on Him and His work in my heart. Without this faith it is impossible to please Him or do to anything pleasing for him.

Thank you Sarah, that in spite of your L.O.L you allowed Him to use you.

1 comment:

  1. Funny, I've been studying Sarah, too, but from a different perspective. I've been studying submission, how in I Peter, God used her as the example of a submissive wife. I thought of exactly what you said, all her negative features: how strange that God would choose her for his example of submission. But it gives hope, that someone so flawed and full of mistakes in her personal life could be spoken of so highly by God. At least, I feel like it gives me hope. :) What great thoughts. I love reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete