Monday, February 13, 2012

Pure Water

O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land
where there is no water." (Psalm 63:1)


This Psalm sumizes my month. 

A wise woman once told me, just like the Brook Cherith (my namesake and an actual body of water that trickled from the Jordan River) dried up, you can as well. Why? It failed to take in. This happens when output surpasses input (Earth Science 101). 

This is not to boaster my life or doings in any way, but to acknowledge that there are spells in life that seem to weight on us (in a draining sort of manner). I realize the landscape of my life could seem a parched Brook, a weary Cherith. 

David's words are pitcorial of the internal dryness one can experience. It's certainly not a pretty picture, sometimes you have to be at the bottom to really look up.

Dried Bones - MSU Museum
But, I am reminded, hope is found in repentence. We are so vulnerable during these "dry spells". How easy it is to respond to situations around us in light of our present views. How thankful I am that people forgive, that God forgives, and hears the prayers of a humble and dry, broken spirit. Just as a healed bone finds renewed strength, so can a broken spirit.

Where's hope? Wisdom from above. That most certainly cannot be duplicated. How often we look for it in all the wrong places--other people, events, more service, dwelling on others who have it worse. None of these will fill us or bring life back to drying ground. Christ alone, whose shed blood appeased his Father God, makes this "watering" eternally possible.

Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places
by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain,
that is, through his flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. (Heb. 10:19-22)

How very thankful I am for the "talks" I can have with my Father God, especially during these dry times. The ground still is not completely watered but how good it is to know that I can live expectantly, knowing One much greater than I, than any circumstances in my view, who loves and cares about me beyond any telling, is in high places, listening downward to one who is earnestly seeking after Him.

A local brook we like to wade in.

No comments:

Post a Comment