Monday, December 19, 2011

Merry Christmas Letter from the Nottinghams

It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait
for the salvation of the LORD. Lam. 3:26

Oh nooo! It's December 20th and my Christmas cards are not even started. This has never happened to me.  A couple of my kids have asked, "Mom, when are we going to do our cards?" (Typically, it's a family affair). I had a goal, family pictures, in the snow, but alas--No snow! That's not supposed to happen in Michigan. So, for all my faithful friends and family, a bloggy Christmas greeting will just have to suffice. For those of you who were idly sitting by (ha ha), wondering w...h...e...n... our card was coming, please forgive me!

Phew, glad that's over. I don't like condemnation, especially at Christmas. (hee hee)


So, what would that beautiful card have said? This year my Christmas thoughts have been centered on stillness. I'm certain, from reading everyone's cards, facebooks, blogs, and watching all the hustle and bustle, stillness at Christmas is paradoxical!

How many carols and songs we hear that speak of waiting and preparing for something or someone. I don't know about you but for me, waiting quietly (peacefully) for anything, is challenging!

Often, I consider those who waited for hundreds of years for the salvation of the Messiah. I would imagine, life often seemed at a stand still. Then, when it happened, how relieved the true watchers must have been, and rejoicing manifested. This quiet waiting reminds me that possibly, this is to be the manner we as current day watchers are to wait.

As I put the final touches on our Christmas, I'm reminded, "Portions on earth are perishing things, but God is a portion for ever." ( Matthew Henry). This knowledge changes my waiting for Christmas. Somehow the anticipation of things now and to come is quieter. It's accompanied by an unexplained stillness and resolve. It silents complaining. It changes visions. It clears a path for truth, understanding, and harder work in the midst of noisy living. This is the stillness that I long for this Christmas. Because, It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lam. 3:26

But, honestly, Nottingham household life appears anything but still and quiet. Anyone who has more than 1.5 children knows the "noises" that accompany family life! But it seems, with each day, these wee ones quiet me in a way that I cannot explain. Maybe I'm learning how intricate life is.

I'm sure our noise isn't much different than yours but since these newsy Christmas letters are usually accompanied by a little of this and that we have experienced over the last year...here are our newsy items.

Hal will receive his 10 year badge this summer for working at the Laurels. He's hoping though, that by then, he will have tested and PASSED his state Administration testing. Pray for him--holding down a full time job, a random part timer (still at Hungry Howies - our favorite pizzeria), serving at church, occasional Lincoln acting, and family life, studying is quite random. He's hoping that he can pass the test with flying colors and although the Laurels community has blessed our family, he's hoping to venture out into different venues.

As for me, Cherith, each day brings new blessing of either provision, strength, or learning. It's just so exciting to start my day with high school Algebra (with coffee in one hand and a prayer in the other), teaching a Kindergartner to read, every other subject in between, and a 2 year old on the loose. Somehow, feeding and watering is accomplished in the meantime. That pretty much is the summation of my days.


The clan, I'll try to summarize with as few words as possible....Serena loves her music--piano, voice, and flute (in that order)--Math and Science not so much, but she's passing! She has a summer job at Nature's Bounty Farm and is looking forward to a full summer.  Ethan, now a teen, is still our resident Police, he never turns down an opportunity for a sword fight or wrestling match. He and Peter work as caretakers of a friend's property and have learned so much. Peter is still mesmerized with anything electric, puzzle, mystery, or magic, and enjoys piano too...trying to work himself into a percussion band. Elisa, our sweet, sweet girl, seems to be our socialite...always loving on others and anticipating her next moment with her friends. Jed is learning rapidly and how exciting to teach him. He is Ethan's shadow and Eben's BIG brother. Moriah, still has 20 "children" (dolls) in her care, at all times and is now saying she will have 12 kids of her own. I do believe she has the "might" for the job! Eben is just as cute as a button and provides us with constant entertainment.

Overall, it has been a "quiet" year here, but there's always room for growth in the year to come of the stillness only God can place within our hearts. That can only happen, as the object of our hope remains the one True Christ of Christmas!

It is good to get each of your letters and greetings! I do read and enjoy each one. It is our goal to take each of our Christmas cards and pray for someone each week, throughout the year. Perhaps next year, there will be a real card from us. So, from our home to yours, with all the Christmas joy we can muster up, A Very Merry (peaceful) Christmas to you and yours!
Cherith for all the Hal Nottinghams


1 comment: