Monday, November 21, 2011

Seeing Thanks Giving Every Day

Sometimes being thankful for everything doesn't come easy. Like today, something (being general on purpose) came up and I had to climb out my state of discontent. Ever been there?


I've learned though, when I surround myself with Truth, contentment finds me, if I'm seeking it. I learned this from my youth where my mother planted Truth so anyone within our home, found it. I'm so thankful God wasn't in a box. He didn't just come out on Sunday or Wednesday. He wasn't a person dressed in a suit and tie. Truth was for every day. Truth was ever present, visible in their lives as well as visible on our walls.


I've grown to realize how imortant this is. Here are few ways our walls bear truth of God's presence!

As I get ready each morning, my day starts with a reminder that "This is the Day". It may be my last. How will I live it? How can God's Glory best be seen today.


My next hot spot is usually my laundry room; I visit there 3 times a day. No surprise when there's 9 people living here. Some days I wish to see anything but a pile of dirty duds. This little truth reminds me to not "count my piles" but to count blessings. The fruit of our labors are beyond words!


Above my stove, where on most days I cook for at least 27 hungry mouths, this lady speaks to me (she's an antique, handed down from mom). She reminds me, "It is pleasant to labor for those we love". Over the years I've learned, it is pleasant indeed to be able to serve others!


And if I ever need to be reminded that GOD is so much bigger than any detail of my life, my "Creation corner" isn't far away. I love decorating with natural elements, these jars hold sand, shells and stones from special places we've visited.  When I see them all together, I think of how mighty God is, how wonderful his Creation is. Is nothing to hard for Him?



These messages though are not always for us. If you come into our home, any visitor will know and read too, our home is for the purpose of serving our LORD, by serving others, and not just housing our things.


There are more. But one last reminder. This word hangs about our dining room. When someone needs to be reminded, it's ever present reminding us that a spirit of thankfulness works wonders!


In Proverbs 7 a wise father once told his son, "...keep my words
   and treasure up my commandments with you; keep my commandments and live;
   keep my teaching as the apple of your eye bind them on your fingers;
   write them on the tablet of your heart." I desperately need to see them, how about you?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Cherith--some great ideas! I've been pretty slow to "decorate" our new home because I really want to take my time and be purposeful about it, instead of just throwing random knick knacks up on shelves. Nothing against knick knacks... Absolutely love the creation corner. I think I may have to steal that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good thing to be reminded that a heart of thanksgiving is so necessary. A list of things that we are/should be thankful for would be endless. Thank you for posting, Cherith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently, I was told (in anger) that just because I had been a pastor's wife did not give me the right to tell anyone how to live. I was told that was their business and I was just to listen. Now, I have been struggling with that for several weeks now. If the situation had not been in defense of another person (who probably does not even know this defense was made for her and her knowledge of it...is of no value to me). Being a past pastor's wife has nothing to do with it...I thank God and actually miss that part of my life. Being a woman that loves God and truly wants the best for all-does. Our life...whether in beautiful illustrations that Cherith has shared...so beautifully, convictingly...and I believe lovlingly...should always show forth the spirit of Christ...and I might add, that He applied the "word fittly spoken" when needed. I am so thankful for the life we have in Him. So much more as this season of Thanksgiving comes...for Christians...Christ-Ones...everyday should be one of Thanksgiving...there should never be a second in any day that we would not stand beside someone...and maybe in defense...but with the wonderful truth that we are all His creation...no place of service makes us any more "above" anyone. We are all made of the same stuff! I pray that I will have someone, if needed that would say a word "fittly spoken" to me...when needed and that they would also defend for me...if needed. Thank you Cherith for these wonderful reminders of what we have because we are in Him.

    ReplyDelete