Monday, June 20, 2011

Simplifying

A Nottingham child turned 5 recently and her brother (age 7) has taken on the task of training her to ride her bike--free of training wheels. Today, she scratched up her toe and I made her put on shoes. She was angry that this was not working as easily as she would have liked.. After putting on her shoes, she tore out the back door, yelling as she went, "THAT'S WHY I NEED A NEW BIKE!". Slam.



Her words froze me in my tracks and thoughts.

It brought me back to a time in my life when "simplifying" everything was key. I read as many books as I could on the topic. Elaine St. James, simplifier guru, and I became partners for a period of time. That was until she began to give marriage advise in a particular book and prompted, if your marriage is cluttering your life, find your way out. Yep, if it isn't working, simplify or get a new one. I then realized that while she had many good thoughts on how to cram more into your life without feeling all "cluttery", it really wasn't the best way. No more than my 5-year-old's quick solution with her task at hand was to get rid of the old, and get new.

(Point is, I wouldn't wish others to do the same for me, when he or others begin to see my flaws, they send me out to trash bearing the label: no more useful. Mercy and grace are far more desired.)

Paul, an earlier follower of Jesus said, while having so little (he hungered), being weary (at times frustrated), being misused and abused (persecutions), being set out to "trash", and going without were simply not grounds for discontentment. Nope, not grounds to yell, stomp, pout, slam doors, and remind everyone else around you that you are in this form.

Instead, Godliness, with contentment, is gain! (I Tim. 6:6). So, I traded in simply simplifying for this path. Accepting the things, situations, and people in my life, as "cluttered" as they seem and allowing God to do the work through them.  Most days, I'm convinced, but sometimes, just as it is for 5-year-old, it's a huge step of faith.



Just should also add, that 5-year-old has run back in the house 3 times now to tell me, "I've got balance". Hmmm, she's onto another blog. "Balance" in life makes such a difference.

PS. This is not a commentary on my marriage; it is a commentary on my attitude sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment