Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Fork in the Road

Today I'm staking my claim on relevance - with a fork in the road. I place it here and now. This fork is not horizontal, it's vertical. If I don't visualize this, I'm not sure how otherwise to do it. I make the choice to put perspective into all this activity we call living. Sometimes, others do it for us. Always, God is busy at work, directing and redirecting our paths. But it's for us to keep all things in perspective - relevant.

Is it not enough to be about a "busy nest" but to have to add to that the other opportunities life allows you? Sure, I love being an activity-junky as much as the next wo(man) but there comes a point when you have to take a minute to breathe. Are we really supposed to be only about mindless hec-tivity?  You know what I mean, you're doing it too.

So, it's bothering me that two months have come and gone and one of my favorite pastimes and passions have gone unnoticed--reflective writing. How is it that life gets so complicated we can't stop and reflect, think, and focus. Yeah, I know, it's not just about the act of putting thoughts down, for me, it's about seeing relevance in my living and knowing it's properly placed.

I'm taking this day to renew the process with a mental vertical fork in the road. Truth be told, I have to actively ask myself, is all the business in my life leading to one place? Imagine with me a fork, many roads leading to one. I would hope that all my roads were relevant to my chief end, God's preeminence. How easy it is to put people, places, ideologies, and things in His place. No one thing, no one person, no one idea should motivate us greater than God Himself.

Col. 1:16-18, For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment